Christmas can be such a magical time of the year. There’s so much joy and anticipation in the atmosphere, and it’s thrilling to see excitement on children’s faces as they take in the season. There are few things more enjoyable as a parent than creating moments of excitement for my children. One of my favorite traditions is dressing our littles in their Christmas pajamas (I mean, is there really anything cuter?) and loading them into our van before bedtime to drive around and look at Christmas lights. Even adults can enjoy the wonder of Christmas lights during the season!
If you’re interested in starting your own family tradition of viewing Christmas lights or just want to continue your old one, here are a few places in and around Birmingham to try out.
Where to See Christmas Lights in Birmingham
2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223
For those who prefer a walkthrough event, try the Zoolight Safari at our very own Birmingham zoo! Enjoy holiday music, a visit with singing Santa, and festive snowfalls all while marveling at the over-one-million lights throughout the zoo.
- December 8-10, 15-23, 26-31
- 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Zoo members are free, non-members $10, unlimited attraction wrist band $10, ride tickets $3.5o
Birmingham Race Course- 1000 John Rodgers Drive, Birmingham, AL 35235
If you’d like a drive through adventure with your family, try Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland hosted this year at the Birmingham Race Course. Their website boasts 3.25 miles of magic that is sure to be a thrill for your car full!
- November 17- January 7, including holidays
- M-F Dusk-10 p.m.
- $25 for 8 passengers or less
201 41st Street South, Birmingham, AL 35222
If you’d rather someone else handle the navigating, throw on your tacky Christmas sweaters and join the Wacky Tacky Bus tour to see the wackiest lights around Birmingham! Dinner from Dreamland BBQ, a guided tour, and snacks are all included in the cost.
- December 12-14 at Avondale Brewing Company
- Buses run every 20 minutes from 5:30-8 p.m.
- non-members: $30 adults and $20 kids 12 and under; members: $25 adults and $15 kids
1500 Noccalula Road, Gadsden, AL 35909
If you’d like to venture out of the city and make an entire evening of things, try Noccalula Falls in Gadsden recommended by another BMB contributor. They feature cookie decorating, hot chocolate, petting zoo, train ride, and more!
- November 23- December 23 & December 26-30
- 5-9 p.m.
- $6 per person ages 4 and older; children 3 and under are free
Neighborhood Lights to Visit in and Around the Birmingham Area*
- Arrow Drive
- Fieldstone Drive (Fieldstone Park Subdivision)
- Edgewood Subdivision
- Barry Avenue
- Edgewood Boulevard
- West Hawthorn Drive
- East Hawthorn Drive
- Chick Fil A Hoover Commons drive thru light tunnel
- The Preserve Subdivison
- Provence Drive
- Rockview Lane
- Rushing Parc Subdivision
- Chestnut Road (Biltmore Estates Subdivision)
- Mountain Woods Drive (Mountain Woods Subdivision)
- Mayfair Park
- Beech Lane and Beech Street (Beech Hill Subdivision)
- Lake Drive (Bentley Hill Subdivision)
*Please note some of these were available last Christmas season and have not been confirmed for this current season.
When all else fails, just drive around your neighborhood and see what lights you can find. Remember, some of the best adventures are spur of the moment and come unscripted. The most important thing is to enjoy the thrill of lights while making sweet memories with your loved ones.
Where are your favorite places to see Christmas lights in Birmingham?